Power of Reading
£1450 / £950 for additional attendees
15 Oct 2015 - 9:30am-3:30pm, 26 Nov 2015 - 1:30pm-4:30pm, 11 Feb 2016 - 1:30pm-4:30pm, 24 Mar 2016 - 1:30pm-4:30pm, 19 May 2016 - 1:30pm-4:30pm and 30 Jun 2016 - 9:30am-3:30pm
- Pupil Premium Funding
Bookings now open for the 2015-2016 project
"Congratulations to you for your Power of Reading project. I cannot remember a time when a team of teachers have returned to school so enthused, inspired and optimistic." - Head Teacher, 2014-2015 project
"The Power of Reading website is fantastic! So many great resources on there - teaching sequences, classroom packs - it provides all the support you need for this project." - Project Teacher 2014
The Power of Reading is a school development project which engages teachers and children in the literacy curriculum through using high quality books and proven teaching approaches. This project group will run from CLPE Centre in London.
The project offers multi-layered professional development drawing on CLPE’s highly regarded classroom-based research and experience of working with teachers. It combines an introduction to outstanding books for teachers and children with an approach to teaching the English curriculum that is creative, engaging and develops a love of literacy.
This successful project will be in its 11th year in 2015-2016 and has worked nationally with over 2500 schools and 4000 teachers in 50 Local Authorities.
The Power of Reading is fully aligned to and meets all requirements of the National Curriculum 2014.
Schools on the Power of Reading Project receive:
- two packs of carefully chosen children’s books for each project teacher (approximately 20 books)
- access to an exceptional and inspiring website of resources containing teaching sequences for all Power of Reading books past and present, exemplification of all the teaching approaches, examples of good practice and children’s work
- an audit of classroom/school provision and support to develop a whole school approach to reading
- discussion through book groups to raise teachers’ knowledge of children’s books
- two conferences for key teachers and head teachers and four inset sessions for key teachers
- opportunities to listen to and meet leading children’s authors
What difference does it make?
Data shows the project is effective in raising children’s achievement and progress in reading and writing.
Summary of research:
- in project schools children in all year groups have made nearly twice national expected progress in reading and writing. In the project schools the increased rate of progress for boys has narrowed the attainment gap between boys and girls. Project data shows children are developing more positive attitudes to reading
- teachers are using creative teaching approaches to engage learners in the literacy curriculum
- teachers’ deeper knowledge of children’s books, combined with innovative teaching approaches, increases children’s enjoyment of reading and writing and raises achievement
To see data for 2011/2012 see our research page here
For central projects run from the CLPE Centre in London the package for one teacher (including website subscription) is £1450/£950 for each additional teacher.
There is also an optional introductory staff meeting: £600 + travel expenses
Download the application form from here
Bringing the Power of Reading project to you
To find out more about the Power of Reading Birmingham project see here
We can deliver the project to groups of schools in a local area. Bespoke packages are arranged with Academy Trusts, School Consortiums, Local Authorities and University Departments.
For more information about commissioning a local project please contact Gwyneth Dear, Project Manager or phone 020 7902 2295