Dramatically Improving Literacy in KS1 & KS2
This course focuses on the use of drama to explore texts in greater detail, leading to increased levels of engagement and attainment in reading and writing. Teachers attending the course will receive two high quality texts and detailed teaching sequences, so that they can implement ideas from the course immediately in their own classrooms and across their school.
Teachers will work with expert practitioners from CLPE and the award-winning Unicorn Theatre to explore specific drama approaches designed to take children inside texts, developing increased levels of reading comprehension and ideas and motivation for writing.
The course will focus on the following key areas:
- Why is drama an integral part of the English curriculum?
- How does drama improve children’s engagement and attainment in reading and writing?
- How to develop an affective response through drama, improving children’s understanding of texts.
- How to use drama to rehearse and try out ideas for writing.
- How to plan for progression in drama skills and activities, from role play to stagecraft.
Each teacher on this training will be entitled to 2 free tickets to any Unicorn Theatre production this year.
“Classroom drama can help children dig down into the substrate of texts, increase their involvement and insight, and enhance their related written work…”Teresa Cremin - Teaching English Creatively