This course has been updated for 2016-2017 using new books and new teaching sequences.
Participants on this course will explore creative teaching approaches that have been proven to effectively enhance higher order reading, writing and spoken language across the curriculum. They will consider how to develop a cross-curricular sequence of work inspired by a high-quality text that will support improved attainment and engagement in literacy and support thinking skills across the curriculum.
• Learn how to effectively develop a sequence of work inspired by a quality text
• Explore how to use a quality text as a stimulus for deepening reader response and critical thinking skills
• Consider how to use a range of creative teaching approaches to enhance literacy and extend learning across the curriculum.
Participants will gain:
• A copy of the high quality text explored on the day along with a complimentary teaching sequence that details session by session planning. This will support practitioners in implementing the approaches and ideas explored back in their settings
• An understanding of how to develop a sequence of work that deepens reader response and develops critical thinking skills.
• Knowledge of how to use a range of creative teaching approaches to enhance literacy and extend learning across the curriculum.
"I feel very inspired after attending this course! Everything that I’ve seen today has been something I could use in the classroom to improve children’s engagement with books and writing."Course Participant 2015-16
"An ethos which values creativity will, according to most definitions, promote originality and the use of the imagination, and encourage an adventurous attitude to life and learning."Grainger, T and Barnes, J. Creativity in the Primary Curriculum (2006)