The Power of the Picture Book for Teaching Mathematics in the Early Years
This course will explore the theory of successful learning in mathematics in the EYFS. Practitioners will look at the journey into mathematical understanding and explore a range of practical activities that support the understanding and use of mathematical language and problem solving in real-life contexts.
Practitioners will also focus on children’s mathematical mark-making and developing a supportive environment for mathematics (indoors and outdoors) that encourages independent learning and sustained shared thinking.
This course will:
• Introduce practitioners to a range of picture books that support mathematical concepts and understanding in the Early Years
• Explore practical mathematics activities which enable children to use and apply mathematical concepts and language in meaningful situations, linked to focus texts
• Investigate what makes good provision for mathematics learning in indoor and outdoor learning environments
• Explore ways to record learning in mathematics in ways that are meaningful to children
Participants will gain:
• The opportunity to reflect on and develop practice in mathematics in line with the expectations of EYFS 2014
• Ideas for practical activities that bring maths learning alive in real life situations, with high-quality picture books as a starting point
• An audit of indoor and outdoor provision to develop mathematical learning
• A high quality text to use in the classroom
"Very informative and left with lot of practical ideas. I feel inspired to create an improved mathematical environment."Teacher, 2017