Supporting Mathematics in the Primary Years for Teaching Assistants
This course will provide teaching assistants with a strengthened understanding of the expectations in both subject knowledge and terminology for mathematics, in line with EYFS and National Curriculum 2014. They will explore strategies, resources and rich tasks that help support children in mathematics and understand mathematical development and common misconceptions in mathematics.
• Understand the expectations for mathematics across the primary years, including assessment at Key Stages 1 and 2
• Understand mathematical development from early concepts about number to knowing and using written mathematical methods
• Explore how to support children in using mathematical language and working through common misconceptions.
• Develop the use of rich questioning in mathematics to increase children’s confidence, thinking and understanding
• Investigate context rich tasks which embed children’s understanding of mathematics into real life contexts
In addition participants will receive new ideas for developing children’s mathematical understanding across the primary years and a bank of resources to use in school, including a high quality text.
‘I will be able to build the children’s confidence in maths, encouraging each child to explore different methods and work out what works best for them.’Course Participant, 2015-16
"Mathematics.. is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. "National Curriculum 2014